Julie Markfield — Art Dimensions: Beyond the Palette Podcast #56: Abstract Painter
Welcome back to my podcast — Art Dimensions: Beyond the Palette. Here, you’ll hear the behind-the-scenes of some of today’s great painters, sculptors, photographers, and collectors. I’m your host, Whitney Rosenson, Owner of Art Dimensions Online — your online home for art leasing and sales from over 80 talented artists.
This is Episode #56 and today’s guest is Julie Markfield. She’s an inspiring abstract painter who experienced a “rebirth” by taking up painting. Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and your other favorite podcast spots — follow and leave a 5-star review if you’re feeling happy creating!
- Episode Summary & Player
- Show Notes
- Art Dimensions: Beyond the Palette Summary
Episode 56: Julie Markfield — Abstract Painter
Julie Markfield is an inspiring abstract painter who experienced a “rebirth” by taking up painting. Her work deals with themes of energy, flow, life and loss, and interpersonal relationships. Hear how to try out different canvas sizes and materials, let your emotions and music inspire your paintings, and follow your heart. This episode covers everything from graphic design to composition. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- Did Julie always feel painting would be part of her life?
- How does graphic design influence her as a painter?
- What materials does she work with?
- How do her emotions affect her painting?
- What are her titles based on?
- How does she decide what to paint?
- If she were granted $1 million for an art project, what would she do?
- What advice does she have for aspiring artists?
Check out Julie’s paintings at ArtDimensionsOnline.com.
Enjoy the shoooooow! Check out the show notes below for much more detail.
- [0:57] Art Dimensions: Beyond the Palette
- [0:59] Whitney Rosenson, Art Dimensions
- [1:02] Check out Julie’s paintings at ArtDimensionsOnline.com
- [1:39] Did she always feel painting would be part of her life?
- [2:11] How long has she been painting?
- [2:25] What’s been her journey to where she is today?
- [3:10] CMG Design
- [3:45] How does graphic design influence Julie as a painter?
- [4:53] What materials does she work with?
- [5:04] COVID-19
- [5:52] What is Julie working on now?
- [6:56] What challenges are there with smaller canvases?
- [8:33] How do Julie’s emotions affect her painting?
- [9:51] How does she choose the music she paints to?
- [11:08] What are her titles based on?
- [11:25] Kathmandu, Nepal
- [12:12] Check out Julie’s paintings at ArtDimensionsOnline.com
- [12:35] What does she hope people get from her paintings?
- Creative Process
- [14:21] How does Julie decide what to paint?
- [17:33] If she were granted $1 million for an art project, what would she do?
- [18:20] What art does she show in her own home?
- Rapid-Fire Q&A
- [19:28] What advice does Julie have for aspiring artists?
- [20:24] How does she stay motivated to keep creating?
- [21:05] What final thoughts does she have?
- [21:24] Check out Julie’s paintings at ArtDimensionsOnline.com and JulieMarkfield.com and follow us on Instagram @ArtDimensions and @JulieMarkfield
- [21:32] Email Whitney if you have any questions on Julie & more
- [21:37] Join the Beyond the Palette Facebook Group
- [21:40] Follow Art Dimensions: Beyond the Palette and tell a friend about the podcast
- [21:43] Check out Art Dimensions: Beyond the Palette on Goodpods, where you can see what your favorite people are listening to
Here are three works of art: Julie’s two favorites hanging in her home; a lovely painting by Joan Mitchell and a photograph by Karen Savage, as well as Julie’s own, “Living in Kathmandu.”
What is Art Dimensions: Beyond the Palette?
How does contemporary art get created? Hear the behind-the-scenes of some of today’s great painters, sculptors, photographers, and collectors. Learn the inspiration, motivation, and creative processes that make contemporary art possible. Hosted by Whitney Rosenson, Owner of Art Dimensions Online — your online home for art leasing and sales from over 80 talented artists.
What is Art Dimensions?
For more than thirty years, we have specialized in the leasing and sale of fine, contemporary art including painting, print, sculpture and photography. We are proud to have more than 80 talented artists on our roster.
Our “lease to own” program provides an opportunity to “live with the art” before electing to purchase it. Both residential and corporate clients can create appealing and exciting spaces with artwork, while creating an investment for themselves.
We are able to coordinate delivery, installation, and also offer framing consultation and art relocation. Cleared artwork has appeared in numerous feature films and television shows.
Our team will work within your timeframe and budget to provide you with fabulous artwork for your film, print, home staging and commercial projects.
We are a business member of the Set Decorators Society of America.
Thanks for listening to Julie Markfield on Art Dimensions: Beyond the Palette. To hear more talented artists, follow Art Dimensions: Beyond the Palette and tell a friend about it. Happy creating!!